"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Caesar Millan would NOT be proud... :/

As much as I love my dogs and swear they (mostly Sirius, really) are just little humans with fur, sometimes I am reminded of what they are... animals. Luna just reminded me of that by doing something dogs sometimes do... eat their poop!!! "Coprophagy" (or eating one's poop) really is mostly a puppy thing. Momma dogs will eat their pup's waste as a means to keep everything clean. Sometimes puppies pick up the habit from watching Momma. Other times its just because they're curious and/or bored... or hungry? Sirius did it (ew), Mini did it (ew), and now I've discovered Luna doing it. Problem is, she's not a puppy anymore! She wasn't hungry because I had just fed them (like not even 10 minutes prior!) so really, she was just being a disgusting little animal.

Remember the Lupron and migraines that turn Alex into a grump? Well yeah, today has been no different in that area, and so I just kinda lost it. I'm embarrassed to say that I did not react in the kindest manner. No, I did not beat the living daylights out of the little 10lb thing!!! But I did yell at her... a lot... a lot a lot... and I rubbed her muzzle in it (which you're NOT supposed to do!) while I yelled... That didn't help things b/c now she had poop not just IN her mouth but all around it too, ew,ew,ew!

So, I proceeded to the bathroom where I plopped her in the sink and washed her mouth out with baby shampoo (literally, although most of the washing was concentrated on her face) which she, of course, hated. I wasn't done torturing her just yet though... lol. I then spent a good 10 minutes brushing her teeth (which she hates as well) and then wrapped it all up with a few spritzes of doggy breath freshener, for good measure! She was then promptly locked up in her kennel upstairs, to have some time to think about how eating poop = torture at the hands of momma.


Momma is not proud... I'm sure Caesar Millan (you know, the Dog Whisperer) would have a fit and point out how horribly I mismanaged the situation. I guess I'm not much of a calm and assertive pack leader when a member of the pack starts eating their poop... Oh well, I didn't kill her, and that in itself is saying quite a bit with how my mood has been this week.


She probably would have benefited from Jasper's presense as well today. *sigh*

No comments: