"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Thursday, June 19, 2008

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I heard (well read, actually) something that made me see red. Someone on a support board (an online community site)gave out some false infromation concerning Endometriosis. Granted, it was well intended and meant to give hope, but nevertheless still NOT TRUE. Someone else (probably this girl's doctor) told her that once she got pregnant, the Endo would "go away forever!" Um... NO! That's SO not true! It's one of Endo's greatest myths and its appalling to me that there are still members of the medical community spouting out falsehoods like that! I mean we're talking old-school type thinking that has led more than one doctor to suggest pregnancy to TEENAGE girls as a cure!!! What the ?!?! Ok, so... this is my Endometriosis Awareness deed for the day... NO, pregnancy does NOT cure Endometriosis. Smack anyone that tells you so! Then send them to ME so I can smack them too! Heehee... no, not really, but I'll still lecture them, and that may be even worse, because Alex can get VERY verbose about this subject. If any of you actually want to know the reason why this is a myth, just ask and I'll explain. For now I'll spare the rest of you the big long shpiel. Ok, phew... just had to get that out of my system... ugh...

6 comments:

Danielle said...

My sisters dr told her that when she was about 17. My mom wanted to kill him. How dare a dr tell some young teenager that if they ever want to get pg they need to do it now because they won't be able to by the time they get married. Especially when it isn't true! I am sorry you have to deal with this. Both of my sisters have struggled with it and it has been miserable for them.

Oh and I love your quote at the top of your blog. So true!

Kimberly said...

I know who you are talking about. =-) I didn't think that was true. And its horrible for dr's to tell people this.

Alex said...

Argh, I'm not mad at her of course, just at the idiot that told her that. I'm sure it was the doctor, which makes me furious because thats how and why Endo remians the mystery it is... even the medical community is too busy to get their heads out of their rears and stay informed about current research/breakthroughs and continue to misinform their patients. Thats the reason I went 10+ years without a diagnosis and it makes me want to whack all MY previous doctors upside the head, because its partly their fault I am where I am today and why we've been trying for almost 3 weyars with no luck! ARGH!!! I know I shouldn't get so worked up, but I do... the ignorance just infuriates me. :/

My Endo Journey said...

Oh, if only that were the case!!! :) Of course, getting preggers can actually kind of tricky too in some cases (what a tangled web they weave)! Thanks for posting on my blog today about the tooth sensitivity. When I go back (scheduled for a cleaning soon), I'll be sure to let them know so they can check things out. I'm on Aygestin too, and, this vitamin called Osteoprime (I went to a Naturopathic dr before treatment and she wanted me to take it). It's a mega calcium supplement. A thing about calcium...the body is tricky on how much it likes to take in at once. Take a look around and there are a few "tips" to follow when taking calcium (obviously I don't know them off the top of our head-helpful, I know).

HOOORAY FOR YOUR LAST SHOT!!!!!!

My Endo Journey said...

I was reading further on your blog...do you have nausea too? EVERYDAY I suffer. Anything help?!?!?

Alex said...

I'm sorry to hear about the nausea... that's gotta be rough! You know, I have never had nausea problems on Lupron, so I really can't help any there, I'm sorry. :(
My biggest complaints have been 1)the insomnia and 2)the migraines. Other than that, everything else ahs been pretty managable. Did your doctor not prescribe you something like phenagrine? Or maybe unisom before bedtime? I'm sure you've tried everything imaginable... I'm so sorry. :(