"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Too bad it wasn't Edward...

Ok, so this afternoon I had to go shopping right after work to get all my stuff to make Jackson's cake for tomorrow. (Pictures to come, I promise!) I went to Crest and had to park way in the boonies because I guess everyone was there getting their 4th of July munchies? Anyway, so I get my stuff and on my way back to my car, I notice another car... Thanks to my obsession with all things Twilight, I've gotten REALLY good at spotting Cullen Cars, especially Volvo S60's! Anyway, so guess what I spot? Oh yeah, an Edward car! It was black and shiny and had tinted windows, even! Maybe I stared at it too long or something, but in any case, I was soon to be visited by the Cullen Car owner, only it was no Cullen...
So there I am, carrying this heavy grocery bag, walking across this humongous parking lot in the sweltering icky, nasty, humid Oklahoma 90+ degree heat. My hair was all wind-blown (think sweaty pony-tail thats falling out) and my face was drenched in sweat, and I was dressed in my ridiculously bright hot-pink scrubs. (This lengthy description will make sense here in a sec) Ok, so I get to my car and this Volvo has pulled out and is passing me, when it screeches to a stop. I was busy putting my groceries in my car, but when I shut the door I looked up and the car was stopped about 2 feet from me. (Um... odd) As the tinted window starts rolling down, my overworked and addled brain thinks, "Oh my gosh, please let it be Edward!" Of course it wasn't! *sigh* Instead it was this thuggish looking, blinged out guy. (And I do mean BLINGED out... down to his teeth!) This is the conversation that followed:

Dude: Um, excuse me miss?
Alex: Yes? How can I help you?
Dude: Are you married?
Alex: (Bringing up hand and flashing MY bling!) Yes, yes I am.
Dude: Oh... thats too bad.
Alex: ........... (blank stare)
Dude: You sure are very pretty, m'am.
Alex: ........... (blank stare)
Dude: (Flashes bling-bling smile and winks)
Alex: ....... uh, thanks... You have a great day!

(Run away! Run awaaaaaaaay!!!!)

I quickly hurried into my car and locked the doors. I guess it should have felt kinda good to be complimented like that, but trust me, in my nasty sweaty state, with my hair all in my face, etc... I didn't feel very pretty. I felt SCARED. I mean who does that? What could possibly possess someone to come to a screeching halt and tell a sweaty icky stranger that she's pretty? Maybe its the calloused, keep-your-head-down-and-never-make-eye-contact New Yorker in me and I'm just not all that into the whole "Southern Charm" thing... but really, I mean come on! Looking back, I realize I totally was in NO danger... I was in broad daylight, in a crowded Crest parking lot, and I was safe in my car... but yeah, that was a bit freaky.

No comments: