"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Life is a marathon, not a sprint

Its no secret that life has been pretty hectic and somewhat overwhelming for me over the past few months. So many of my posts have in one way or another whined about it, and while I try to put on a brave face and brush it off on the surface, deep down it really has been a trying time for me, not just physically but mentally as well. With the added stressors of my surgery and all its post op complications, school, and work I've run myself into a pretty big rut.

Particularly I've been overwhelmed with feelings of not being good enough, of being a burden, being a failure, and an ever-present sense of doom, like any second everything could come crashing down on me and my life will just turn into one big never-ending catastrophe. It's not fun feeling like that all the time. I'm sure many of you have felt something similar at least once in your lives so I'm not ashamed to admit this of myself... it's hard to accept that you need help, but I guess that's just human nature, pride, and all that.

Today I came across something that made me stop and reflect... and lifted my spirits immensely. Sorry about the grainy picture, but its worth watching if you have a minute or two:



This video brought to mind 2 scriptures I need to get in the habit of repeating to myself when I start getting anxious and overwhelmed and filled with thoughts of failure:

27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and aorder; for it is not requisite that a man should run bfaster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. (Mosiah 4:27)

&

7 I have fought a good afight, I have bfinished my course, I have kept the faith: (2 Tim 4:7)

I am grateful to know that my Heavenly Father loves me and has/always will sustain me through all my tough times. I just need to remember to not "lean unto mine own arm" and instead reach out and accept the help He is willing and eager to offer. Perhaps this is just a (not so) gentle reminder of the importance of humility and the need to seek the Lord's help in everything I do.

4 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for making me smear my mascara first thing in morning. =)

That video is beautiful! And you are beautiful! And I have so much admiration for the strength and persistence you're showing through all these trials. You're AMAZING Alex! Love you!

Shanny said...

Good gravy, I'm a blubbering mess. But in a good way. Thanks for sharing that video.

And please know that I think you are amazing. You've been through a lot. We love you, and pray for you :)

cheri said...

Alex, Thank you for sharing this video and your feelings.........I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a big (((HUG))).

Your Friend,
Cheri

Alex said...

Thanks gals, you are all awesome as well! (And I'm not just saying that) I appreciate the support, prayers, and encouragement... I truly am blessed to know you guys! :)