"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Success... and on to book 2!

Last night Ben finished Twilight! Well, I should rephrase... last night I finished reading Twilight TO him! We sort of fell into this habit of me reading to him to help speed things along and we both enjoyed it, so thats what stuck. Ben had a hard time getting through all the "nauseating lovey-dovey" parts and I often would hear him sigh and look over to see him rolling his eyes and making mock pained looks on his face while I read, but we got through it. It must not have been as bad as he said it was though because guess what we're doing now? Oh yeah baby, onto New Moon! We already got through the first 2 chapters last night! ;)

This is going to a toughie for me... I personally HATED this book, with the exception of the last few chapters. It brings back too many painfully repressed memories of forced breakups that were "for our own good." I know I'm married and thats all long in the past, but still... I can't help but dread having to read this again... To be completely honest, I skipped A LOT while reading it the first time... sometimes pages at a time, because I just couldn't handle being in her head when she was in that much pain. Ugh, not pretty. If I'm going to be reading this out loud though, I suppose I can't do that. *sigh* This is such a depressing book!!!... stupid flea bitten mutt! Grr...

Oh, on a side note: Enders Game... Well, I'm still chugging along. I had a hard time with the middle when it went off on a tangent about a 10 and 12 year old wanting to rule the world *rolling my eyes*... You could stay I almost gave up, but no... I'm still chugging along. Most of my free time now is occupied reading to Ben, so it's going slow, but I'll finish it, I'm determined!

9 comments:

Clark said...

So, you're ok with vampire love triangles, but draw the line at ambitious pre-teens?

Alex said...

Technically its a Vampire/Human/Werewolf love triangle... and yes, I prefer that to power hungry, animal-torturing pre-teens. ;)

Shanny said...

I find it funny that you were bugged by "10 and 12 year old wanting to rule the world," because I was totally bugged by Bella not being able to function as a human being in New Moon. I just found it to be way over the top. I kept wanting to say, "Get over it!!" Oh, and if I had been her, I would have picked Jacob. Obviously I don't think of him as a "stupid flea bitten mutt." :)

Alex said...

You'd think with my love of dogs I'd prefer Jacob but no... I find him immature and selfish. All he cares is about Bella picking him, regardless of whether or not thats what makes her happy or safe. Edward knows he's dangerous and tries to "set her free" she always has the option and he's always been against her "changing." He loved her enough to let her go and made it so that she didn't have to choose btw them... he's even cool with jacob towards the end, even when he could have been smug and cruel. Edward is the better man in my opinion. Jacob's just a sore looser of a little boy.

Oh and about Peter... it bugs me how cruel he is to everyone and everything. And it bugs me that everyone is so oblivious to the manipulation going on... they do't even try to fight it. Ender especially. He just plays right along and lets them pull his puppet strings.

Ben said...

Go jacob!

Alex said...

Oh hush, you don't know yet why you should hate him!

Alex said...

Another fact worth pointing out:

Bella and Jacob are just NOT meant to be. We know that because of the whole "imprinting" thing you learn about werewolves. According to Stephenie Meyer's FAQ on her website:

"Q. Did Jacob imprint on Bella?

A. No. And this is how you can be sure: in New Moon, after the first time Jacob becomes his wolf phase, he is mean to Bella. He won't tell her what is wrong. He says he can't see her anymore. If he'd imprinted on Bella in that moment (and it happens the first time you see the person after you've phased), he would have answered all her questions. Pretty much, he would have given her anything in the world she wanted. (When he's staring at her on the bottom of page 173 in Eclipse, he's trying to make himself imprint on her. But that's not something you can force.)"

Jacob knows this! He saw what happened with Sam and Leah when Sam imprinted on Emily. What did that do to Leah? It turned her into a bitter and reckless person... is that what Jacob wants for Bella? If she chose him, he would eventually have to leave her for whoever else he imprinted on. She would end up just like Leah. In persisting and going to such extreme lengths as he does in Eclipse to make her "his", he is showing how immature and selfish his love really is, as opposed to Edward who is willing to let her go for her own good. Edward realizes that forcing himself out of her life was a bad idea, but he still gives her options and even admitted that if she chose Jacob he would walk away. He makes life easier for her by not making her feel bad for hanging out with Jacob and he understands that she HAS to do some of the things that she does to know for herself which is the correct path for her.

Do I doubt Jacob's love for her? No, of course not poor thing... But logic here (in my opinion) points to Edward being the best pick. Jacob would have meant heartache in the longrun. I rest my case.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i haven't heard the title ender's game in a while...i read that in h.s. and loved it...i should read it again! keep plugging away at it...it's worth it...but i don't remember most of it...it's been, ahem, like 13-14 yrs ago!

have you read: the time traveler's wife?

read it...it's very good.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

me again...

a vampire series i am enjoying...

The Gardella Chronicles, by Coleen Gleason

www.coleengleason.com

they are great!