Here is my newest creation, a clotheline themed cake for a baby shower my sister-in-law was hosting for a friend. This cake was extremely fun to make and I got to try out some more new techniques and it even forced me to get a little inventive! I'd originally planned on coloring the dowels up top (that make up the poles for the clothesline)brown with a marker but then I couldn't find the brown one so I decided to try to cover the things in fondant (like you would with modeling chocolate). After a few tries they turned out pretty cool! This is all starting to get a lot easier with practice, and what once used to take me 2 days to complete, I was able to do in one afternoon/evening! The only thing is that we're left with SO much cake at home... after all the trimming and leveling is done I have mounds and mounds of leftover cake and I just can't even stand to look at it, blegh! ;)

This is the cake's car ride over. Yes, on the floorboard of my car, lol. Some day if I actually get really good at this and start making bigger cakes this probably won't work so well... But for now it'll do!

The finished product once I hung the onesie and made sure nothing had fallen off during the very bumpy ride... courtesy of crappy Oklahoma roads.

My favorite part of the cake. I was so tickled when I found those itty bitty little clothespins!
So anyway... tada!!! :) I think I'll get some dummy cakes soon so I can work on bigger things, like elegant gumpaste flowers, etc.
5 comments:
OMG you are sooo good at this! I'm chickening out and having bakery do Anthony's cake. LOL
Wow, I'm still impressed with your creativity and skills! Great job on the cake.
hi alex, this is ben's cousin rachel. you are REALLY talented! seriously. that cake is beautiful. have you thought about doing it as a small business on the side?
rachel
Thanks gals! I'm having so much fun with this stuff!
Rachel- Hi! You know Ben and I have discussed that possibility! He's working on making a website of sorts for me and meybe as I make more cakes, word of mouth will help out in that aspect! I certainly wouldn't mind getting paid to have fun! :)
PS - I saw this and thought of you. HOW CUTE IS THIS?!
http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2008/02/built-robot-cupcakes-from-hellonaomi.html
Go forth and adapt!
Post a Comment