"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Close Call...

Yesterday we had 2 tornadoes hit Oklahomna City. One of these touched down a mere 1/2 mile from our home. Yeah, thats WAY too close for comfort... Both Ben and I were at work when this happened, so we're ok. I had to hang around at work an extra 30 minutes while the storm passed well enough to our north to where it would be safe for me to go home and check out the damage. I was terrified for our puppies! We keep them inside when we know the weather is going to be rough, but a tornado can get you indoors too, so yeah... I drove home FAST.
I have to say, we were very, very lucky to not have sustained any damage to our home. Just 1/2 a block away a big tree was uprooted and fell on a house, crushing the roof in. There were quite a few snapped limbs around us, but nothing big enough to cause damage. My puppies were all fine, phew!
Here's the kicker though- we weren't even under Tornado Watch! According to all our expert meteorologists, this wasn't supposed to happen. A tornado was on the ground and the sirens hadn't even gone off! So much for Oklahoma having the "best" weathermen, lol. Something very similar to this happened last spring too. I am sorely dissapointed.

1 comment:

Em said...

As dumb as this sounds...I kinda miss tornado watches. Growing up in MO, I have lots of good memories of hanging out in our basement during tornado watches. A lot of our neighbors didn't have basements so they'd all come over to our place until the sirens stopped.

It's all fun and games as long as your house stays standing. Glad you guys made it through okay!