"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
~ Albus Dumbledore ~
Monday, April 06, 2009
Paying my dues
I had to go to the ER today and unfortunately got an EMT student assigned to put in a line. I could tell that he was nervous when he started grabbing the wrong kind of needles and preparing to flush the line before even putting it in, lol. So I tried to chit-chat with him while he went about preparing to torture me, but sure enough the poor guy kinda botched it up and soon I was looking down at a bunch of blood running down my arm onto the sheets, gurney, and floor. "I wasn't prepared for so much blood!" he kept saying. A nurse came in and quickly helped him finish, cleaned me up, and got me new sheets so that I wouldn't have to lay in my blood, lol! Poor guy, he felt so bad, but I told him I was a nursing student and would some day be in his shoes too, so no worries. I wonder how many times I'll botch up my IV lines... I feel bad for my future victims!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm sure you'll do just fine when it's your time :) I hope you're doing okay and your ER visit wasn't too serious. Call me if you need anything!
i was in nursing schhool before becoming a mommmy and I remember my first IV. I made the poor guy so nervous, but it all worked out. I am grateful I never really messed one up. Since having kids I now have had the opportunity to be the patient for such new students and I always get so nervous, but I try to be a willing person given my past need for others to trust me, haha.................You'll do great! We had those plastic arms to practice on, practice, practice, practice makes perfect right? (well, it sounds good anyway)
Why did you go to the ER? I'm so out of the loop...
I'm sorry you had to go to the ER! I hope you're doing okay. I didn't know you were in nursg school, that's so exciting! By the way, I just finished reading H.P. #6 & #7 again. Can't WAIT for Half Blood Prince movie this summer!
Kathleen,
My Endo is acting up... they wanted to do a hysterectomy and I said NO! Still in a lot of pain, vomiting, wishing I could reach in there and yank it all out myself, etc... Nothing life threatening, per say, just some crucial decisions needing to be made. :(
Sad day...I'm sorry to hear it's so bad. Let me know if you need anything.
Post a Comment