"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Idiopathic Trigeminal Neuritis

So... definitely not a bee sting. :( Min-min had her followup today and for all intents and purposes she is still the same. The vet thought he felt a weeeeeeeee bit of resistance in her jaw when doing some neurological tests, but not much. The general consensus is that she has whats called Idiopathic Trigeminal Neuritis. Idiopathic = no one knows why it happens, or as our vet jokingly put it, "because we're idiots and can't figure it out!" Trigeminal neuritis = inflamation of the trigeminal nerve which in her case is causing the paralysis.

Final prognosis is uncertain. ITN can be temporary and linger for about 2-4 weeks... OR it can be permanent. We have no way of telling which one of these fates awaits our Minsters. I guess only time will tell... For now we are to keep her on her meds, keep feeding her and watering her through the syringes, and pray like the dickens that she gets better... She's already starting to look skinnier to me, so I'm not sure how long she'd last if this were permanent, unless she were to get a feeding tube for the rest of her life... she's only 5, so that would be a very long and miserable existance... Just trying to remain positive and cross that bridge when we get to it... hopefully we won't have to though.

I have a feeling she will be the talk of this blog for some time to come... I'll update as we have progress... or not. Thanks for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers!

4 comments:

Clark said...

As I recall, wasn't she always one of your more . . . well fed dogs? Food storage comes in handy in the tough times. Hope she gets better.

Unknown said...

We'll be thinking of her and keep her in our prayers... It's hard to see your pups hurting.

Allie said...

Wow, what a horrible situation. I'm sorry Alex! I hope that it does resolve in the next few weeks. What a horrible thing to watch your baby go through.

Laura Chapman said...

Good luck Alex. I hope things get better soon!