This morning she woke up a whole lot worse. She tried unsuccessfully (for about 15-20 minutes) to eat breakfast but all she managed to do was drool/slobber/foam all over her bowl... I doubt she got more than 5 kibbles down her throat. I tried getting her to drink but she couldn't do anything other than get water all on her face but none stayed in her mouth and just ran out the sides... Ben was at work and I just started panicking... I called our regular Vet, Dr.Mauldin, and they had us bring her right over. He did more pinch tests and she didn't react all the way down to her neck. He said that in his 18 years of practice he's only seen this twice and we're looking at 3 possibilities: 1) she got stung by a bee in the mouth and that's causing the paralysis (only neither Vet was able to find a stinger or any site of a sting... no swelling, redness, etc) 2) A degenerative auto-immune disease (meaning it would get worse) or 3) a tumor pressing on her Trigeminal nerve which would require brain surgery.
We are hoping and praying this is just a sting, as the latter two will lead to needing to make a difficult decision... our Vet is usually very chipper and optimistic, but he told us we should start thinking about how far we want/are monetarily able to continue with this if its not just a simple bee sting. So we set up a followup for Tuesday, they gave us some syringes to feed her with, and we headed off to PetSmart to buy her some canned food. We have to make her a "slurry" of food and water so we can feed it to her through the syringes, since she is unable to feed herself. It's so heartbreaking to watch, since other than her face she is healthy and happy and still her usual bumbling self... But when you see her unable to eat and drink, reality sets in and we just sat there and had ourselves a good long cry with her. These next few days will be crucial and telling of whats to come...
I know this may sound weird (especially to those of you that don't have dogs or aren't "pet people") but we don't have kids and our pups are our babies. It was a rough start with Mini, she was one screwed up dog when we first got her, but here we are 4 years later and she is just the sweetest thing ever. She is so gentle and cuddly and obedient. She's gotten to be really good around the kiddos and just loves life... Any prayers on her behalf would be welcome... we're just not ready to let her go just yet... :`(

4 comments:
Alex I'm so sorry! I really hope its a bee sting too! Its so hard losing a pet. We might be having to put our one kitty down soon. He's started leaking and he's had kidney disease for awhile. Again I'm so sorry you have to see your pup this way. =-(
Kim
Alex... I am so sorry... We'll keep her in our prayers... We all know you don't need more to deal with right now...
DANG! Sorry to hear that. I hope it is just a bee sting! Good luck! We're thinking of you all.
That is soooo sad. We are praying that it is a bee sting and that there will be a FULL recovery. We are total pet people and know how they just become part of the family. Keep us posted. love ya.
Post a Comment