"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Monday, April 28, 2008

Wizards to Vampires?


Harry Potter was the best and worst thing thats happened to me. I have always LOVED reading, loved LOVED it... and Harry made it all the better. Then Deathly Hallows came out, I read it, and was like, "Hmm... ok, now what?" I tried to start new series, books that were NOT part of series, etc... but to no avail, I just coudln't find something that really awoke my interest like my old wizard friend. For a long time I simply just quit reading, really... Absurd, I know, but I just couldn't get INTO anything. For a while now I've been searching for something that might reawaken my love for books. I'd heard of a relatively new and popular series that a lot of my friends seemed to be into. There was just one catch... It's about vampires. Yeah, thats right... vampires; blood sucking, scary, pale, walking undead vampires. As soon as I heard that Iwas like, "Yeah... ok, not so much for me." I had some friends back in my early teeanage years that were OBSESSED with the stupid things. They worshiped Anne Rice (Interview With a Vampire author) and walked around talking about Lestat this and Lestat that... yeah, like he was real? Um, ok. I was never really into vampires to begin with, but after listening to them rant about this junk for years I REALLY hated anything related to the subject. Fast forward to now. Friday we were at Books A Million and again I was wandering around hoping something would catch my eye. There was Twilight looking all innocent and interesting. Such was my desperation for a good read (well, any read really)that I picked it up, read the glowing reviews and decided (against my better judgement) to take a stab at it. Ben kind of rolled his eyes when I told him it was a vampire love story (Ugh...I still have a hard time admitting I would read such a book)but nevertheless I left with a new book and high hopes.
Last night I finished. I normally try to read slowly, to better digest and enjoy my books (like food, you know?) but much to my surprise, I could NOT put the thing down. If it hadn't been for my sleeping pills, I think I might have actually pulled an all nighter! *GASP!* I know, for someone thats been sleep deprived for 3 months, that sure is silly, huh? But thats how good it was. Here it is Monday morning and I'm already plannng my escape to the library this evening to get a library card (yeah, I know... I don't have a library card???) and see if I can track down the next book in the series, New Moon.
Hopefully the rest of this series will be just as good. I know some like it, some hate it, and some are just kinda blah about it. For now though, I'm pretty excited! Its been SO long since I was this excited to read, I really missed it.
So yeah, thats all... just had to share and have a bit of a laugh at myself. ;)

3 comments:

Shanny said...

I think my review of these books may have been less than glowing, but they really are a good read. Very engaging. I just can't believe all the hype. And I agree, it is embarrassing to say you are reading a vampire love story :)

The Tenney's said...

Alex, i CANNOT believe it has taken you soooo long to read these books. i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. actaully, my sis-in-law gave me Twilight to get me over my Harry Potter Funk too! ALl the girls in my ward are Twilight Freaks and we talk about it all the time. at my book club we talk about the book of the month and then everytime, without fail, we start talking about Edward! I wish you were here so you wouldn't have to go to the library, i have all the books! i've read them all 3 times. oh Alex, I'm so glad you have joined the Twilight world.
I love Edward.

Erin Cullen

Alex said...

DRATS!!! There is a HUGE waiting list for the rest of the books at the library!!! UGH, what am I going to do?!?! Ben is contemplating just getting the other books for me so that he doesn't have to listen to me whine until my # is up at the library. (I'm currenty on a 60 some long wait list for them!)
BTW... Mrs.Cullen, how does Brian feel about your other (vampire) hubby? ;)
Oooh, and they're making a MOVIE?!?! Ahhhhh!!! And dear old Cedric Diggory is playing Edward! I just saw some clips and my-oh-my... this is going to be gooood!!!