"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eclipse Review! (possible spoilers, beware)


Got home at 3am, didn't sleep much, and am up studying but I thought I'd take a break to do my shpiel. Overall impression: SO good! Best of the three for sure! Gonna go see it again tomorrow with another buddy, hopefully the screams will have died down a bit and I can hear more dialogue this time... that's always hard at the midnight showings, heehee.

Without getting too spoilery, this is what stuck out the most to me:

* Very few/minor deviations from the book! Much was condensed, of course, but nothing plot-altering was done, thank goodness!

* Lots and lots of dialogue straight from the book, some even from BD.

* Sparkle effect was very subtle and better done than in previous movies.

* More of the soundtrack made it into this movie than any of the previous ones. Some worked, some... not so much, in my opinion.

* I prefer the " marble consistency" of the vamps in New Moon to the "crystal consistency" in
this one... fighting scenes really bring out the difference.

* Speaking of fighting scenes, I was unprepared for how graphic (albeit non-bloody) they were.
No subtlety there... but then again, I've got a low tolerance for the cringe- factor.

* Lots of tongue-in-cheek/movie poking fun at itself moments :)

Directing/Production technicalities aside, most memorable moments:

* Loved all the Bella/Charlie scenes. Perfectly awkward/funny/tender! The sex-talk scene was
my favorite, although graduation made me tear up ;)

* Rosalie/Jasper flashbacks were awesome!!! Quillute legends were cool as well.

* Loved the adorable Alice/Jasper stuff they threw in; many "awwwww" moments!

* Lots of the Bree Tanner back story made it in which helped tremendously.

* Riley and (new) Victoria were pretty cool. Riley stole the show though, awesome actor!

* Jacob does a really good job at making you feel so bad for him... I totally hated him in the books
but even my cold heart-strings felt a few tugs :(

* Tent scene was done very well, they kept the most crucial of the book's dialogue.

* Ahh, the much anticipated big bed/chastity & virtue talk/official marriage proposal scene:
It didn't deviate much from the book, if that tells you something. My favorite part was the end,
when he does the actual proposal and she says yes. Absolute raw/unguarded joy! I almost
forgot myself and jumped out of my seat clapping... Probably will go down as a fan favorite!


And that's that folks! I'm SO excited to see it again tomorrow, its always better the second time around because you can take more in. Hopefully the crowd won't be as rowdy. Yeah... we'll see about that ;)

1 comment:

Allyx and Dan said...

Ah I thought it was so good too! I was so happy they kept all my fav scenes from the book in the movie- like the tent scene, bed scene, etc. I also really liked the graduation speech, even tho it wasn't in the book. It helped get across what bella was going thru. An overall success and def better than the others! Yahoo for Edward.