"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Mis Charruas


WHAT. A. GAME!!!!

I only caught the first 30 minutes or so before work and then left with the biggest ball of knots in my stomach.... Ben kept sending me texts with updates and it just killed me to have to keep it together and not lock myself in an empty room and turn to ESPN and let loose. NONE of my patients were even watching it so I couldn't take sneak peaks either... ARGH!!!

I normally love it when games go into PK's, that's always a treat for me, so when Ben texted me that this was happening, I knew it was going to be insane... and it was! I'm so sad Suarez got red-carded for the handball, but so grateful that he took one for the team in order for them to advance. I feel terrible for Ayew, who with the weight of a continent on his shoulders, missed that PK, but of course I am grateful to him as well for ensuring our win. Craziness, I tell you.... absolute MADNESS!!! Hands down one of the most nerve-wracking games I've seen in a looooooooooong time! (I ended up watching the rebroadcast after work at my BIL's house)

VAMOS URUGUAY!!!! Arriba mis Charruas!!!!

2 comments:

Clark said...

I'm having a pretty hard time accepting the handball as anything other than a crime against the entire sport. If Suarez played within the rules, Uruguay almost certainly would have lost. Maybe this should be an intentional tactic for teams now? If the other team has a corner at the very end, maybe put 2 or 3 people on the goal line to stop the ball at all cost, because you might get lucky and have them miss the PK. This isn't a case where someone was fouled in the box and we don't know if he would have scored or not. The only thing between the ball and the back of the net was Suarez's hand. He will be out for the next game, but I'm not sure that's a sufficient punishment. Evidently FIFA is considering increasing the suspension to 2 games, keeping him out of the final (or 3rd place game if they lose).

Alex said...

Lots of things in soccer are a crime against the sport... they happen all the time. Goals that were clearly offside being counted, fouls that are blatantly overlooked and viceversa, cards being handed out when the offended obviously took a dive and is faking it. The list could go on and on... Yes, what he did was against the rules but he was punished and no one is contending that. The team will be sorely compromised now that their key striker is gone. Also, its not his fault Ghana missed the PK and then lost the others. That's just how the (often unfair) game of soccer goes.

Ben adds: Would your opinion be different/less severe had this happened at any other point in the game? Same offense, just different time. Even if you think it was done as a tactical move, wouldn't it also have been a shot in the foot if they had not missed? I think this wouldn't even be an issue if Ghana had scored, but because the outcome was different everyone is in an outrage.