"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Second verse same as the first?

Two years ago when I had my first Lap, I encountered a few bumps in the road during recovery. I developed a couple of secondary infections and a horrendous rash all over my belly, chest, and thighs due to what we *thought* was the Dermabond or surgical glue used on my incisions. Prepared with this info, we went into this surgery knowing not to use that and my doc just stuck with regular sutures to close the wounds. I was beyond relieved since that rash (more so than any of the other things) had been the worst of my post-op complications.

Guess what showed up a few days post-op? Oh yeah... the rash. (Not to mention another bout with those other 2 secondary infections again) Are you freaking KIDDING me?!?! I tried hydrocortisone cream for a few days hoping it would just go away but to no avail. I talked to my doc today and he was really surprised to hear about it because not only had he not used the Dermabond, but he'd also switched to a different kind of antiseptic surgical wash that is more hypoallergenic, just in case it had been a combination of things that had caused the rash. I am just as flabbergasted as he is... what in the world is causing this? No clue! Unfortunately, whatever it was is wreaking havoc on my body and it looks like I'm going to have to go back on steroids to make it go away, like last time... which took weeks to clear up :(

Argh...

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

oh man! I remember you having all that happen a few years ago! I really hope it clears up quicker this time then last. You've been through enough!

Kim

Em said...

oh Alex, you have far more than your share of bad luck. I'm so sorry! I second the sentiments of hoping it clears up quicker. Do you think the rash would be affected if we signed some sort of petition?

Alex said...

LOL!!! Oh Em, you are just the awesomest!!! :)