So I get to church and start going through the paperwork as per usual. I get to the "deferal due to medications" section and there was Lupron, but no biggie right? It's been over 6 months, I'm set! My blood is clean and good to go! EXCEPT that right next to Lupron (it used to be the last one in that section) now was Aygestin... I just started taking Aygestin about 2 weeks ago because my prior Endo treatment plan was giving me horrendous migraines.
Apparently Aygestin is new to "the list." It's level of toxicity is equal to that of Lupron and means I have to wait until 6 months after my last dose before I am able to donate. I was soooooooooooooooooooooo MAD! I seriously went back to my car, texted Ben and cried all the way home. It was like Christmas being canceled...
I'm sure you are all thinking I'm crazy. Why get so worked up over not being able to go get poked by a needle and bleed into a bag for 7 minutes? Odd, I know. I guess it doesn't really make very much sense to anyone but me. Being able to donate again was one of the "bright sides" to having given up trying to have kids. It also meant my body was finally good at something again, and not a complete failure, like I often feel because of all the problems it gives me most of the time. It was my way of feeling "normal" again after 3 years of feeling anything but normal.
Oh well... I'm not sure how long I'll be on Aygestin (seeing as it is one of only 2 options for a long term Endo management plan) but until then OBI will not be wanting any of my blood. It's really too bad actually, since I've got O+ blood which is rather useful, but I guess not so much when it's all toxic and whatnot.

Maybe I should get a t-shirt with a biohazard symbol on it, lol.

6 comments:
Maybe you could make a list of the drugs that get you disqualified from donating for me. That way, I could try and always be on one of them.
The current excuse that I'm using for not donating is that in all likelihood, once they hook me up, I'll glance at the bag, pass out and they'll just have to unhook me. Then it's just a waste of everyone's time, and my blood.
LOL,that's kind of what Ben's excuse is like. Now you don't HAVE to look at the bag you know... ;)
While I wouldn't say that I look forward to donating blood, I completely understand how bad it feels to be rejected. A number of times I would be deemed ineligible due to anemia, and I always felt like a failure of some sort. Which is silly, really, they're just rejecting me to protect me. But still, it makes you feel bad.
I am so sorry..I understand what you mean about feeling like it is yet another thing your body isn't letting you do..ugh..does it ever get any easier?
I had a few questions for you about Endo and clomid..is it possible you can email me?
I feel like ever since I took clomid my last 3 AF's have been EXCRUCIATING, debilitating and I am thinking of requesting another Lap...I remember you sayign clomid makes endo worse..what about injectables? can you email me at cklove325@aol.com ?
Kelly,
YES, Clomid can and ususally does make Endo much much worse! I will email you tonight for sure when I get back from work!!! I'm sorry to hear you're in pain... :(
That does suck. I, like you, take joy in donating my blood. It's a simple way to do something miraculous for someone else. And ever since my dad had to get a blood transfusion a while ago, I feel the need to definitely pay it forward.
Post a Comment