I took Sirius to the vet today because he's been acting strange since last week. Not eating, laying around looking all pathetic, not wanting to jump on the couch/bed with us, tummy probs, etc. Ben took him to an after-hours clinic last week and they said it might be an infection or he might have thrown out his back. They gave him antibiotics and pain meds and figured one or the other should work. He got better for a few days and then last night he was acting strange again. He could barely make it upstairs to bed and his tongue was really pale/white-ish. That really got my attention so I took him in to see Dr.Mauldin today to get this figured out once and for all.Turns out he threw out his back! Odd, I didn't really think dogs did that. I mean, I know they can have bad hips and knees so I'm not sure why I was surprised, but I was.He ran some bloodwork too and the white tongue/gums were a sign of pretty bad dehydration, so they hooked him up with 300 cc's of fluids under the skin on each side of his back. Poor thing looked deformed when they handed him back to me, 2 big bulges on each side.
He's ok though. We have to take him back in a week for a follow-up to make sure it's better after some R&R and some anti-inflammatory meds. If not, he may need some X-rays to rule out any disk herniations etc, but we're hoping that won't be necessary. Ben says he's just wanting to keep me company since I'm always hurting my back, LOL!

1 comment:
Aww poor lil pup!! I hope he feels better soon. It stinks when they are wounded =( or not feeling well.
Post a Comment