First off, HOORAY for Prop 8 passing!
Now, for the past however long this whole issue has been going on, WE have been accused of hatred and bigotry for wanting to keep a traditional definition of marriage between a man and a woman as the law. Those opposing Prop 8 came up with a catch phrase, "8 = hate" which has been reported to have been graffitied on church buildings, keyed on peoples' cars, etc etc. (Yes, all very mature and "un-hateful") Now, these very same groups that rallied and cried for tolerance from us, are rallying for violence and hate crimes! Hypocritical much? I think so... Read more about it here.
Now let me state clearly, I am not against tolerance. We are all different, and deserve (whatever our beliefs) respect and courtesy. What I AM against, is when this so called "tolerance" is only supposed to work one way, and in this case it would have been tolerance for same sex couples only and intolerance for our religious freedoms. In Massachusetts, where this same proposition failed to pass, people who do not agree with homosexual lifestyles have lost THEIR rights to be notified of what their children are being taught and pull them out of class if they don't agree. (ie.events such as "Gay Pride week" that are now being shoved down kindergardeners' throats, even!) Adoption agencies have been closed down because they are now mandated to work with and place children with same-sex couples. Churches could be told they need to perform same-sex marriages. What about all these peoples' rights? Where is the tolerance there? Since when are the views of the few being imposed upon the many considered tolerance?
I do not agree with how the Presidential election turned out(Although yes, I am happy to see that our country has come so far that a person of any race and/or gender can hold the office of President! That is a victory worth rejoicing over!). However, I am not about to go out there and physically threaten Obama supporters. The majority has spoken, and that should be respected! The people of California (AZ and FL as well) have spoken too, and now they have to fear for their lives and property? Again...is this the tolerance the Vote No on Prop 8 groups were clamoring for? Hmm... maybe we have different dictionaries or something, because that hardly sounds like tolerance at all.

5 comments:
I agree that no church should be forced to marry anyone, be that of hetero or homosexual orientation. However I do believe children should be aware of homosexuals. I am sorry but homosexuality is not some form of leporacy where they have to be hidden from society and pretend that they don't exist. They do exist, in large numbers, and are some of the greatest people on the planet. I think it is great to teach children about ACCEPTANCE of all people from all different walks of life, culturally, racially, gender and sexual orientation. Nothing bad ever came from educating, but too much wrong has come from ignorance.
I must respectfully disagree, but that is my right as much as it is yours to disagree with me. Acceptance/tolerance (whatever you want to call it) should not have to mean giving up your personal and religious beliefs nor should it mean that you no longer have a say in your child's education and upbringing. That's called tyranny. What you see as ignorance, I see as a belief system. Religious freedom is what this nation's foundation was all about. It would be sad indeed, if what so many people came over here for was done away with just to please the few. I say "few" because to my knowledge homosexuals are not the majority just yet, and after all, isn't the majority vote what Democracy is about?
I am sorry that we disagree, but thank you for voicing your opinion, it is your right.
Sexual orientation is exactly that... orientation. These people are trying to get a leg up in our society by stating that they are some sort of class by equating themselves with blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. This is abhorrent in itself in that they are no different from you or me other than their decisions. Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda and wants to force ideas on the rest of society.
While I don't hate homosexual people and don't think that they should be treated badly, I still don't agree with what they do and want to reserve the right to teach my children the difference between right and wrong, while still treating others kindly.
PS I tagged you on my blog
amen hermana
Post a Comment