"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight Review

So I am totally bummed that I didn't get to go to the midnight showing (getting up at 5am to go teach Seminary and then having to work afterwards just don't mesh well with staying up until 3am) but Ben and I went today after work! Here is my spoiler-free review. Comments are fair game though... if you don't want the details, don't click on the comments! You've been warned...

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I loved loved loved loooooooooooooooooooooooved it!!!! I was terrified they were going to butcher it, and after Eragon, the possibility became more real to me. I am a big stickler for staying true to the book, and while I recognize that movies are "adaptations" I have a hard time letting go of my preconceived notions of how the movie "should be." Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite HP book, but my least favorite movie for that very reason.

That being said... I think they did a fantastic job of not screwing it up!!! 90% of the dialogue was straight out of the book, word for word... I loved that! Did they deviate a bit due to time constraint? Yes. Did little scenarios get added in that weren't in the book? Yes. However, they were done very tastefully and in a way that remained very true to the characters, and things they could have done/said.

My only regrets are that some of the Cullens didn't get as much screentime as I would have wished, but some of that is true to the book anyway because they don't all play a huge role until later books. Some more character development would have been nice too, but again... time constraints, I get it. All in all, there wasn't a single thing I hated or had a big promblem with. The thing that bugged me the most was that I wasn't a big fan of "Bella's Lullaby" but thats my own fault... I found a song that somehow got linked with Bella's Lullaby (It's actually called "River Flows In You" by Yiruma) and just kinda became "it" in my mind. I love it... its beautiful. It did not end up being the actual lullaby in the movie... BOO. But seriously, thats my biggest complaint... pretty trivial. (It's on my playlist as "Bella's Lullaby" by Edward Cullen if anyone is curious)

I don't think those that have not read the books will like Twilight very much. In my opinion, it was totally made for the fans. If you don't have a working knowledge of the story I don't think it will make much sense. Bella ends up looking very stupid and Edward like a creepy stalker. It's hard to develop the characters well enough in such a small amount of time and the nuances of their love is lost. I got it, but then again I've read the series like what... 6+ times? *sigh* I'm sad for those that have not and end up disliking the movie because of it.

My final grade? Twilight gets an "A" all the way!!!

Now... if I could only think of some excuse to go back and see it again... and again... and again... ;)

6 comments:

Alex said...

Ok, if you're reading this then I assume you saw it or don't mind spoilers... I will proceed.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Ok, did your hearts almost stop beating when he kissed her? I think I was breathing a little too loud, it was kinda embarrassing. I bet Ben will have a bruise from where my fingers dug in so deep....perfection... *sigh*

I think it was HILLARIOUS that Edward looked like he was about to PUKE when he caught a wiff of Bella. Considering my current state of perma-nausea, I really connected with him there, LOL.

I think Jasper was great, looking all pained to be around humans! It was spot on! I was sad to not see his power explained/showed, but oh wells.

Again, I usually HATE when fake things are added on, but that cooking scene with Esme and the food network? GENIOUS! Very believable because she did that in Breaking Dawn for Jacob and his pack.

Anyone else think Carlisle was hot? Ben said that when he appreared (with Bella after the accident) the whole movie theater gasped collectively before the women errupted into cheers/screams/catcalls! Heehee... me? Guilty as charged... ;)

Rosalie was very hateable, good job.

The baseball scene was awesome!!! Loved the effects!

James was super creepy! For all you LOTR fans... did he not seem kinda ork-ish the way he cocked his head all the time?

WOW, the ballet studio scene! Totally wasn't expecting to see pieces of James being ripped off, that was kinda gross, lol! I LOVED that Alice jumped on him and ripped his head off!!!

Bella's reaction to Edward suggesting she go to Florida almost made me cry. It was *perfect*! I could feel the panic, it turned my stomach.

Jacob and Edward giving e/other the stink eye, heehee! Great!

I loved that they did that with Victoria to leave it open-ended for New Moon, very cool!

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but ugh... my brain is swimming. I can't wait to see it again!!!!

Ben said...

From a male perspective.

Alex said...

haha Ben, very funny... :P

Unknown said...

Ben is awesome.

Ben said...

I can't believe you endured that post... then again. I didn't I just posted my response :)

Tara said...

AH!! I loved it as well!! I made Sam go with me the next day, and he said it was better than he thought.

I didn't care much for the flashbacks...those were kind of..odd. And the way Edward looked like he was going to puke..yeah, could have done better there. But it was funny.

I LOVED the show, and held my breath waiting for him to kiss her! And exactly the same way about almost crying at Bella's reaction to him saying to her to go to Florida.

Ahh..I will be going to it again and again, and will buy the movie when it comes out, and will wait in line for New Moon also..but I hope they have a better budget for the next one.