"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Marshmallow Fondant- How To!

Here is the LINK to a very helpful website that gives you not only the recipe, but also a pretty detailed tutorial complete with pictures. Good luck and have fun!!!
Oh and just a few tips from me that I wish had been in that tutorial... when working with this fondant, keeping it the "right" temperature is the key! If its gets too cold/hard it will crack and not roll out well. To fix that, stick it in the microwave for increments of 5 seconds, until its softer and easier to knead/roll. CAUTION: Remember, this is 1/2 marshmallow, and when marshmallows get hot they turn into GOO! Overheat this stuff and you'll have a gooey glob... IF that happens, no worries, set it down for a few minutes, it will firm up again. Also, grease your hands (Crisco) and then cornstarch them, it will help keep the MMF from sticking to you.
Alrighty people, get baking! :)

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks Alex. Here is the cake I want to make. Do you think it will be super difficult? http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/pans/piratecake2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/pans/pirate.htm&h=221&w=259&sz=9&hl=en&start=41&um=1&tbnid=nj1Cq1Emr2oj2M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpirate%2Bcake%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS255%26sa%3DN

Alex said...

Kim, that is SUCH a cute cake! I think the MMF will work quite well for that, but I would DEFINITELY do a trial run. Specifically to practice on the sculpting parts, like the crinkly part of the bandana, the ears, etc. MMF works well and feels a lot like playdough so I think its totally doable, but for sure I'd practice before hand... if only just to get a feel for how the fondant works. Good luck and please post pictures, I'm excited to see how it turns out!!!