As many of you know, I'm a Food Network junkie. One of my absolute favorite shows is "Ace of Cakes" which is about Charm City Cakes, a famous bakery in Baltimore that makes crazy cakes! I have long been harboring a deep dark secret which is: if we were rich and didn't have to worry about paying our mortgage, bills,debt etc., I'd quit my job in a heartbeat and run off to culinary school to become a pastry chef! I've always loved baking and working with sweets, so working at a bakery such as CCC (or having my own!) would be pretty dang cool, if you asked me!
Back to reality though... unfortunately I can't quit my day job to become a crazy cake maker and compete in Food Network "Extreme Cake Challanges" so in the meanwhile, I've decided to take the self-taught road and just see where that takes me. Its fun, its messy, and above all... its SO yummy! I absolutely LOVE cake!
Yesterday I decided to try my hand at decorating a cake in MMF (Marshmallow Fondant.) It was a BLAST! Really really sticky, tricky, and frustrating, but I did it!!! I survived! My cake survived! Granted, the fondant tore here and there and its not exactly Ace of Cakes worthy... BUT its edible and looks pretty dang good for a first try, if I do say so myself! (I really am very pleased with myself, if you couldn't tell!) Ben and I stayed up to almost 2 AM getting this little sucker all done (yes, you read right... 2AM!) and when I woke up this morning I was very pleased to see that it hadn't cracked, settled funny, or fallen apart during the night! (This is a very common problem for begginers in the world of fondant) Oh, and cudos to Ben, the best fondant roller and leaf cutter in the world!
So... without further ado... presenting... MY EASTER CAKE! :)

7 comments:
WOW. I mean, seriously, WOW. You did a great job! If we were rich, I'd help you start up a business, because you are really good!
oh it looks AWESOME! I need to make Anthony a b-day cake and I want to use that stuff. Is it super hard? Would you recommend I make a cake before the big day?
Thanks gals! It really does show more flaws in person, the camera was just being nice! :)
Kim, yeah I would definitely do a trial run, this MMF stuff is tricky to work with. It took me a while to finally get the hang of the "right consistency" for it to roll out nicely without cracking/tearing. Eay enough to make, but you'll have a better experience (I think) if you practice beforehand. I wasn't too stressed b/c this cake was just for a family dinner, nothing fancy... but I was lucky in the sense that nothing disastrous happened b/c with my beginners skills, I wuld have had a hard time "fixing" major probs, kwim?
I can post the recipe too if you'd like, and a "how to" tutorial that helped me tons!
Thanks again for the compliments. I had such a blast making it, I'm excited to try new techniques with my new toys!!! :)
Way to go Alex! I love playing and teaching myself new things with cakes...it's so much fun. You did a nice job and I'd love the recipe. I've actually never done anything with fondant before and I don't think I've ever even heard of MMF so it would be fun to try.
Alex - yes if you could PLEASE send me that info I would appreciate it!
YOU ARE TOO COOL! That looks so professional! Did it taste as good as it looks? )
You are too cool! This looks very professional. Did it taste as good as it looks?
Post a Comment