"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Monday, March 03, 2008

It's that time of the year again!

It's not officially Tornado Season in the Young household until we sing this song, so here goes... feel free to sing along!

I looked out the window and what did I see?
An F5 tornado coming to destroy me!
Spring has brought me such a nice surprise!
F5 tornados right before my eyes!
I can go and hide in my "safe" bathroom,
But if it's an F5 I'll be dead soon!
I wish it weren't so,
But there seems to be,
An F5 tornado coming to destroy me!

Ahhh... how I enjoy poking fun at my greatest fear, in the hopes that it will help me get through Spring with my sanity still intact. Last night we had our first trip to our "storm shelter/safe room" in our pantry under the stairs. After a very pretty weekend, we came home from church to a windy and stormy evening. As things tend to go for us, our satelite dish quit working because of the wind, and about 2 minutes later we found ourselves under a tornado warning, sirens blaring outside... and of course, since we had no reception, we had no idea where the threat was. I jumped online to see that the warning was for our area (our neighborhood included) and as I was yelling to Ben (he was upstairs) to hurry up and come downstairs NOW... guess what? Oh yeah, the power goes out! At this point I'm seconds away from a full blown panic attack... we have no power, there is (surely!) a tornado barreling down on us, and my husband is upstairs, my dogs running around in the dark unsure of which screaming maniac (Ben or I) to listen to! I got my trusty lantern on, and ran into our pantry, coaxed the dogs in after me, strapped on my helmet, and yelled to Ben to get some more blankets. Once we're all "safe" in our pantry, *poof* the lights come back on, and we receive a phonecall from his brother to let us know that we're out of danger, PHEW!
What did I learn from this? Well, for one thing, I need to fix our pantry so that we can all fit better... and 2) I think the puppies would benefit from "tornado drills." Yes, I'm serious... don't laugh! The reason I believe this to be true is because normally they get yelled at if they go into the pantry, and I think thats why they were hesitant to follow me in there. I may have to start running them in there with treats or something so that if there is ever another emergency like last night, it doesn't take us 5 minutes to get them all in there... by which time we could all be dead if there really were a tornado coming to get us!

2 comments:

Ben said...

If you can't tell, that's to the tune of popcorn popping on the apricot tree (as my wife would correct me ahhpricot

Kat said...

You might also want to get a battery powered radio. That's a staple in Oklahoma.