"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Friday, November 17, 2006

Vanilla Envelopes In A Doggy Dog World

Ok, so you know how sometimes people spend ages singing the wrong words to a song because thats what they *thought* it was saying? Well, I've been very blessed to know 2 people who are afflicted with this condition in normal every day life phrases and words. Today we were at WalMart getting some odds and ends. Ben all of a sudden mentions, "Oh, and I need some vanilla envelopes." I did a double take and said,"A what now, hun?" to make sure I had heard correctly. "A vanilla envelope, you know the big yellow ones with the clasps on the back," he said with a straight face. I knew he was not joking. After laughing my head off for like 5 minutes, I kindly informed him that what he's been calling "vanilla envelopes" all 26 years of his life are actually called MANILLA envelopes. This was almost as good as the time my friend Kathy said to me, "Man, it sure is a doggy dog world!" Like with Ben, I asked her to repeat herself and again, after recovering from my fit of laughter, had to break the news to her... that its a dog EAT dog world. This was about 10 years ago... I still tease her about it to this day whenever the opportunity arrises. And so it begins with Ben and his vanilla envelopes!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

13 days. 0 posts. 0 comments. Well, there's not much I can do about the passage of time, or the number of posts, but dang it, I can comment! I'm a superb commenter! So watch me go!

Anonymous said...

14 days. 0 posts. 1 comment. But all is not lost. Some of us remain valiant to the end. Life is still cold in San Jorge. My car barely starts to get warm by the time I get to work. Of course, it's only a 4 mile drive.

Anonymous said...

Let me help you in your endeavor, Clark. I, too, check this blog about 57 times per day, with no changes for the past 14 days. We want more, Alex!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think this website has about the lowest update/check ratio of any that I regularly visit. If nothing else we can read each other's comments!

Anonymous said...

I did think this post was funny, by the way. I think there are a lot of people who think it's "vanilla" instead of "manila." And who came up with manila anyway? Well, guess what, I just looked it up and discovered that manila envelopes are made from the fibers of Abaca, which is a species of banana that is native to the Philippines. And the capital of the Philippines? Manila! There you go, mystery solved.

Anonymous said...

Blasted blogger just destroyed my well crafted comment. Basically, I think we should invent envelopes made from red dirt, and then the whole world can call them "St. George envelopes".

Anonymous said...

Now THERE is an idea. And don't worry, we've got plenty of red dirt to support that project.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave another comment, just to boost numbers.

Anonymous said...

I think we're up to 16 days. And the comments are really starting to pile up. Apparently this is easily Alex's most popular post yet, so maybe she's on to something.

Anonymous said...

Shannon:
I was thinking maybe we should start a contest to guess when the next post will be coming. I'll give you 2:1 odds on before the new year.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, OK, what does the winner get?

Anonymous said...

And how has Alex NOT noticed that there are now 12 comments on her blog?

Anonymous said...

I think the simple explaination is that Alex isn't checking her own blog anymore. Maybe once we get up to 20 or 30 comments we can start making little references on our own blogs about it. But it's kinda fun to see how long this can go on.

Anonymous said...

It's fun to see how long this will go on. And it really could go on for quite some time. Come on Alex, we want a post! We want a post! We want a post!

Alex said...

WOW... I feel so loved and so unlovable all at the same time! My deepest appologies... oh and thanks Shannon for researching that... I always wondered why they're called manila envelopes!!! You are my hero!