A few things I learned today:
1) If you are allergic to cherries, DO NOT eat them.... no, not even "just one or two!"
2) If you're going to be a turd and eat them anyway, for the love, WASH your hands before doing something silly like oh.... rubbing your itchy eyes!
3) If you see what looks like a contact folded in half smack in the middle of your eyeball when you know for a fact that its NOT a contact because you are wearing glasses... well, for one thing, don't poke and prod it with the aforementioned unwashed, cherry-fied fingers!!!
*sigh* Where's my sign? ;)
SO... now for the story. Ben and I had dinner at his parents house tonight. Cherries were on the menu. I LOVE CHERRIES. I'm also allergic to them. They make my tongue and throat itchy. If I eat enough of them I end up with bubble lips. But I love them... loooooooooooooooooove them! So when I saw them, I knew what I was doing but promised myself that I'd stop at the first sign of an itch. It only took 2. I should have stopped there but I had 1 more and prepared myself. Sure enough my tongue started itching... then my gums... then the roof of my mouth, and then my throat. Crud! Oh well... I started gulping water and scratching my tongue with my teeth and figured that was that.
A little while later my left eye started itching. I rubbed it. It kept itching. I rubbed it some more. Then it started tearing and got all blurry. I tried to ignore it but eventually I couldn't see squat out of it and it felt like I had a major eyelash or something in there. I went to look in a mirror and my first thought was, "Why do I have a folded over contact in my eye?" Then my brain caught up and I realized... uh, that's no contact. I poked at the weird transparent folds and ripples on my eyeball and it finally dawned on me what I was touching. A very swollen cornea that was folding in on itself every time I blinked. Yikes!
I called my eye doctor/old boss to make sure this was nothing urgent. While it didn't hurt, it was very uncomfortable and felt like my eye was going to fall out with every blink... really nasty sensation. I ended up having to go get some eye drops, took some Benadryl, and got an icepack on it right away. Fortunately the swelling has gone down considerably, though I still can't see very well out of that eye. I should be good as new tomorrow, but if I'm not, it shouldn't be anything some steroid drops can't fix. Phew!
Lesson learned... No more cherries! Or... maybe I'll just wear gloves next time, heehee ;)
1) If you are allergic to cherries, DO NOT eat them.... no, not even "just one or two!"
2) If you're going to be a turd and eat them anyway, for the love, WASH your hands before doing something silly like oh.... rubbing your itchy eyes!
3) If you see what looks like a contact folded in half smack in the middle of your eyeball when you know for a fact that its NOT a contact because you are wearing glasses... well, for one thing, don't poke and prod it with the aforementioned unwashed, cherry-fied fingers!!!
*sigh* Where's my sign? ;)
SO... now for the story. Ben and I had dinner at his parents house tonight. Cherries were on the menu. I LOVE CHERRIES. I'm also allergic to them. They make my tongue and throat itchy. If I eat enough of them I end up with bubble lips. But I love them... loooooooooooooooooove them! So when I saw them, I knew what I was doing but promised myself that I'd stop at the first sign of an itch. It only took 2. I should have stopped there but I had 1 more and prepared myself. Sure enough my tongue started itching... then my gums... then the roof of my mouth, and then my throat. Crud! Oh well... I started gulping water and scratching my tongue with my teeth and figured that was that.
A little while later my left eye started itching. I rubbed it. It kept itching. I rubbed it some more. Then it started tearing and got all blurry. I tried to ignore it but eventually I couldn't see squat out of it and it felt like I had a major eyelash or something in there. I went to look in a mirror and my first thought was, "Why do I have a folded over contact in my eye?" Then my brain caught up and I realized... uh, that's no contact. I poked at the weird transparent folds and ripples on my eyeball and it finally dawned on me what I was touching. A very swollen cornea that was folding in on itself every time I blinked. Yikes!
I called my eye doctor/old boss to make sure this was nothing urgent. While it didn't hurt, it was very uncomfortable and felt like my eye was going to fall out with every blink... really nasty sensation. I ended up having to go get some eye drops, took some Benadryl, and got an icepack on it right away. Fortunately the swelling has gone down considerably, though I still can't see very well out of that eye. I should be good as new tomorrow, but if I'm not, it shouldn't be anything some steroid drops can't fix. Phew!
Lesson learned... No more cherries! Or... maybe I'll just wear gloves next time, heehee ;)

4 comments:
oh, Alex, that picture is delightful! Thank you for posting that, and giving me a great laugh as I try to calm my nerves. And DON'T EAT CHERRIES! I hope you feel better today :)
ouch!!! I cannot imagine being allergic to cherries... All I could picture while reading your post was Will Smith on the movie Hitch... all swollen up, drinking benadryl from the bottle :) Hope it gets back to normal soon!!!
you are awesome. I love cherries too! this sounds like something I would do, but you handled it like a pro.! Miss You!
HAHA!! I'm laughing with you, not at you!! It's funny now right? Oh you poor thing. I couldn't help but laugh when reading the post. You are hilarious!
No more cherries!! Love ya and thanks for the picture! It's perfect!
Post a Comment