I've been thinking a lot lately about how foolish I was in my younger years, as a college student at BYU. I was so busy yucking it up and enjoying my first taste of freedom (since my parents were so super restrictive and protective of me... which I can hardly blame them, growing up in NYC) that I just totally failed to really enjoy school. By that I mean the academic part of college life, because believe you me, I thoroughly enjoyed the social aspects! :) That's not to say I got horrendous grades, but I didn't excel like I was used to. Basically, I did not live up to my academic potential.
Now that I'm nearly 29 and going back to finish up what I started so long ago, school is just a whole new beast. This semester is super hectic. I average about 5-7 tests per week! I take my textbooks with me everywhere I go and even study in the bathroom at times...sorry, TMI? It's insane, and hectic, and most days I'm just exhausted beyond belief, but guess what? I LOVE IT! I absolutely, positively, 120% l-o-v-e being in school again! I am soaking it all up and doing so well! The nerd/perfectionist in me has been reawakened!
Its a shame I didn't live up to my potential at BYU or take advantage of all the opportunities I had to drink long and deep from it's fountain of knowledge (wow, that was cheesy!) but I am glad that I have wizened up with age. Better late than never, right? Perhaps this life lesson will enable me to be a better nurse than I would have been back then.
Anyway, that was my study break. I'm off! :)

1 comment:
I totally know how you feel! And I'm kind of jealous that you get a second chance to be in school. I think I could have done tons better and sometimes wish I could go back and get a masters or something just to prove that I could and to get my brain working again! In a textbook, reading, memorizing, taking tests sort of way. Way to go hermana!
Post a Comment