"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Here it is!

Ok, so here are some pictures of this whole ordeal... First, we have the hole... there it is in all its smoldering glory!
And here we are pulling up the carpet... that foamy insulation thing was SUCH a pain to rip up because it had been glued down to the floorboard...

Once all the stuff was ripped up and the floorboards scraped cleaned, we proceeded to lay down a layer of mortar and then over that went these cement backerboards. At the seams more mortar was applied and they were secured with some special screws.

Here Ben is skillfully laying down the mortar with his trusty trowel. My job was to place those little white spacers!


Yay for cleaning nasty grout off tiles until 2am!!! Despite my smile, I was really not enjoying this step...
And after all that hard work and so many sleepless night... TADA!!! Here is the finished product!!! That wood floor transition/ trim was cut and stained by Ben as well. Also featured in this picture is Sirius's lovely butt!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! Of course, I didn't see it before other than the hole in the carpet, but I'm guessing it looks even better than before.

Anonymous said...

Wow, good job!!! Can you and Ben fly to Utah and tile our entry way?!

Alex said...

hmmm... maybe I'll have to talk Ben into doing that. I'll tile your whole house if it means getting to go out there to see you! ;)