"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Hey Mr.Olivander, need any help?

Well, I finally did it... something I should have done YEARS ago! Why, oh why did I never do this before? I could have enjoyed these babies for years of movie releases and Halloweens... *sigh* Oh well, better late then never, right?


What am I talking about? Well, WANDS of course! Every decent witch and wizard needs one! =)


Those of you that know me well know that with my accident record I should never be allowed to play with sharp/power tools... so Ben helped me out with the first part. (Thanks babe!) 

We started with wooden dowel rods, cut to an appropriate length. Then Ben used his crafty BoyScout skills  to turn those sticks of wood into wandish shaped sticks of wood! (Like the sexy goggles and mask? I do!)
Next I gathered and readied my supplies: sandpaper, Sculpey clay, acrylic paints, brushes, and clear-coat spray.
I then cut a portion of the baking Sculpey clay, worked it into a soft ball and then...
... shaped it around the handle end of the wand! Sculpey is really easy to work with and you can do pretty much anything you want with it! I then baked the wand in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and let it cool before proceeding.
This is when the real fun began! Painting took, by far, the longest. In order to create a realistic look (especially on the clay) I had to apply several coats and washes in order to create layers of colors. Distressing was especially fun, but kinda tricky.
Here I was adding some details before an overall darker wash.
This is after all coats of paint had dried, before I sprayed them with the clear acrylic.
(Dark)Wand #1
(Light)Wand #2
(Medium)Wand #3... yeah, its the Elder Wand wannabe! ;) Didn't turn out so hot, but it was fun to attempt to replicate!
TADA!!! After spraying with clear acrylic.

These babies took me 2 days to complete from start to finish and were soooooooooooo much fun to make! I'm taking them to NY with me for Squirley, Will, and myself when we go see Deathly Hallows 2! So, should I quit my day job to run off to Diagon Alley and apply at Olivander's? ;)


5 comments:

Thora said...

Beautiful work! Much better than my wand.
A+
Hugs,
Thora of Hufflepuff

Craig and Crystal said...

I LOVE them! You should make me one! ;)

Jenna said...

I'm not really crafty, but this is SO a craft I'm willing to try! Haha, good job!

Chelle said...

Thanks for talking about this on BBC! I finally decided to make my own, and while they're not as neat as yours, I at least have my own for the midnight showing! So thanks! :)

Allyx and Dan said...

ahh they look so good! I made a wand too, but I never thought of adding stuff to it. those look awesome! I'm jealous you got to go to new york for the premiere! you are a lucky little gryffindor! well I hope you loved it because I know I did!