Here is a video shot by a local submitted to our ABC news affiliate, KOCO5. It starts off silent but the audio kicks in after about 30 sec. The guy on the radio (about 1/2 way through) is my favorite Meteorologist, Rick Mitchell. The others get too boisterous and scare me senseless...
Also, some crazy pics... courtesy of KOCO5!
So where were we when this all went down? Well, Ben was at work, hunkered down in their safe room. I was at school, after just taking a Chem test. I was trying to decide whether or not to drive home (and try to beat the storms that were racing into the city) or stay put. Fortunately for me, the security guards made the decision for me because as I was texting back and forth with Ben, they started shouting, "Tornado on the ground, everyone follow me... NOW! No one leaves this building!" So... off I went, to the the science building's safe rooms (i.e. labs) and hid there for a good hour or so. They pulled up KOCO5's live streaming coverage online and we watched it on the overhead projector screen. Ben and I stayed in contact for most of that time via cellphone. Once the tornadoes were well to our east, they let us go. Fortunately, we only got golf-ball sized hail, which yes... left dings on my already dinged up car. Such is life in OK. At least my windshield/windows were intact.I raced home to check on our home since a tornado had touched down in Bethany, which is a neighborhood (or rather subset of OKC) just a few blocks away from where we live. I had purposely left the pups locked up in the kitchen, hoping their instincts would tell them to hide in our pantry/safe room. Thankfully, the pups were just fine, as was out house. Nothing but a messy backyard (branches, leaves, and random debris) to show for it... phew!
My school has been closed for 2 days though, as it has no water because of some damage. My last final has been rescheduled, which I guess is a good thing... although I much rather get it over with, but whatever. All in all, we were VERY lucky and blessed to have escaped unharmed and with our property undamaged.
Well, looks like this evening will be active as well. Tornado warnings are popping up in western OK. We'll be in for some of this later on tonight... *sigh*

4 comments:
You should move. Seriously. That is scary business. Glad you are all OK!
Oh WOW Alex, that is scary!!! Never been through one, but being through lots of Hurricanes, for which at least you get notice! I can imagine having a warning in just seconds! Im glad you, hubby and doggies are safe!!! Take care!
Since you go to school where I used to swim and work it brings back memories of the May 1999 F5 tornado. I was there at OCCC teaching a swimming lesson! I chose to beat the storm and I'm glad I did since it was only a few blocks from there where it touched down. Glad you are safe and sound. I miss the excitment of tornadoes. We don't have anything like that here...
So glad you guys escaped the worst of it. I miss the thunder and lightning storms of Oklahoma, but not the tornadoes ;) How did they fare in Norman? There is a kid from our ward serving there, haven't talked to his family yet, but hoping he's ok... If you ever run into him (Elder Clark - tall blond kid that looks a little to young to be a missionary) tell him HI!!!
Post a Comment