"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Oh well, I tried!

For the past couple of months I have been trying to broaden my literary horizons. Upon reflection and the fast approach of my last birthday in my twenties, I decided it was time to turn to more "grown up" literature, if you will... As much as I loved the last few years of amazing YA finds (it all started with my beloved Harry Potter) I figured it was time to move on.

My sister-in-law Kathleen was kind enough to go through her vast collection with me and help narrow down 2 bags of hopefuls, and off I went, super excited and ready to find a new nitche in the literary world. *sigh* You can see where this is going, no? Well, I read a few books, including some of Jane Austen's best as well as a few others that were highly recommended both by Kathleen as well as friends. In all honesty they were all quite good, really. Some I liked better than others, but none of them were really horrible or anything! The problem?

I kind of quit reading. Well, let me rephrase that... I quit devouring, feasting, slurping them up like they're a sumptuous feast. (I really view my favorite books like that) I don't know, I just lost my drive and it turned into passively nibbling- a little here and a little there... in short, there was just not enough to tempt me.

Last night I was book hungry... starving, really. I was so flustered! I completely gave up, snatched The Hunger Games off my shelf and went to bed and read... and read...and could not put it down for 2 hours! Mind you, I've read this book at least twice (maybe a third time although I'm not 100% sure) so it's not like I didn't know what was going to happen! I came home from work today and went straight back to it. I am SO looking forward to spending the next day (or 2 or 3 if I can manage to stretch it out that long) finishing it and then moving onto Catching Fire! Oh how I missed that feeling!!! It was like being reunited with a long-lost friend! (Yes, I know I'm weird. Ben thinks I'm crazy because I say books are like friends to me...go ahead, laugh away)

So, I guess I'm just going to have to be content with what I like. Better to be a happy not-so-sophisticated reader than an unhappy snooty one, right? Never fear, I will continue to expand my horizons (I'm dead set on finishing all those books I was lent) but I will not feel guilty for being almost 30 and reading Harry Potter, Twilight, Eragon, Hunger Games, Narnia, and all my other much beloved YA books!

That is all. *Stepping off soapbox to return to Panem*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! You get on your soap box anytime you want! =) I know just what you mean, reading to me is no longer to learn and get info. it's now to have fun and relax..... so relax and enjoy! =)

The Tenney's said...

oh my heck we are the same person. i'm in a book club and a lot of the other girls pick the "classics" and so forth. i read them but i am just begging for a wizard, a vampire, or nicholas sparks romance. give me my books or give me death!