If there is one thing I will never understand, its how/why some people let their dogs ride on the backs of pickup trucks on busy roads. Despite what magnetic-paw superpowers they think their pups might have (or incredible balance or self-control or whatever) dogs have been known to fall out and CAN get hurt! That to me would be the obvious reason not to do this, but today I was reminded of yet another.
As I was driving to school this afternoon, I came upon a pickup truck with a beautiful Australian Shepherd in the back. Not only was this dog in the back of the pickup, she was running back and forth on top of one of those metal toolbox thingies that come up higher than the lip of the truck bed! She was even standing up on her hind legs and resting her front paws on the roof of the truck!!! All the cars around me (myself included) slowed way down and I bet we were all thinking the same thing- "Oh please don't let me be the one to A) run over that dog when it falls off or B) get into an accident trying to avoid that dog when it falls off!" We were all keeping a distance of about 4-5 car lengths between us and that crazy shmuck driving this vehicle.
SERIOUSLY dude?!?! Ok, so let's just say that this guy couldn't give a rat's fart about his pup's safety ... what about US, his fellow drivers?!?! I mean come on! No one wants to see a dog splattered all over the road, much less be the one to run over it OR drive into oncoming traffic/a pole (etc) trying to avoid it! If I were a cop I would have pulled him over and cited him for reckless driving and/or whatever else I could get him on, including endangerment of an animal! This can't have been the first time the dog did that, and knowing how it behaves and the increased risk it puts everyone in should be one more reason to either keep the dog in the cab with you or leave it at home!!!
Still, best case scenario- your dog is well mannered and sits quietly in the back? Congratulations to you. That doesn't mean he/she couldn't go flying out and get run over (or cause accidents) if you have to make a sudden stop, turn, or get into an accident yourself. I recognize that I am super paranoid about doggy safety and all, but this is something that transcends even my paranoia. It's about our responsibility (not just as dog owners) as drivers to keep the road safe for ourselves and everyone around us.
Sheesh people, use your brains... Grrr...

2 comments:
That makes me mad too!!
Kim
Brian and I were totally having this same conversation just last weekend about a truck that zoomed by us with a dog jumping from one side of the truck bed to the other and hanging out of it. So dangerous!!
Post a Comment