"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Saturday, May 02, 2009

On a serious note

These past few weeks have been rather frustrating for us with one thing going wrong after another. My multiple trips to the ER, numerous doctors visits, upcoming surgery, missing work, Mini being sick (again!) plumbing problems, car problems, etc. It's easy to get caught up in our woes and get stuck in a funk. I'm especially good at that, the funk, which is something I need to work on.

I hadn't been to Kayleigh's blog for a while, and when I caught up today, it was like a nice big bonk on the head. A reality check, if you will. While life has been a bit rocky for us lately, it's nothing compared to the trials this family has been enduring for the past 10 months. The grace and faith with which the Freemans have met every bump in the road, especially this latest turn for the worst, is inspiring to me. It looks like little Kayleigh Anne is getting ready to return to her Father in Heaven, despite a long and arduous fight. Like with little Maddie this is just another example of God's miracles that linger just long enough to bless and change the lives of many.



This is just one of the many premature babies out there, all fighting hard to come home. I have great admiration for the parents of these special little ones, who if they survive, face many trials for years to come. Fortunately not all of these stories have sad endings. I've mentioned Little Ant before, and his awesome parents Kim and Larry. While they lost Ant's twin sister Hailey, this little man has made leaps and bounds over the past 2 years and he is now a healthy and rambunctious *almost* 2 year old!

Ben sometimes asks me why I torture myself following these kinds of blogs and stories. I'm sure that "torture" is the only word that comes to mind when he sees me sitting here bawling over the struggles of people that I don't even know in real life. However, some of these ladies have been a great support to me over the past few years that we've struggled with infertility. While we have never met face to face, we have bonded over the pains and struggles that accompany this difficult and sometimes fruitless (as in my case thus far) path to motherhood. Our hearts ache for the same thing, and while these dreams have been granted to some, and our lives have taken different paths, we still ache for each other now.

I am grateful for these friendships and stories of inspiration. They help me take a step back and have a better perspective of my own trials. They also encourage me to strengthen my faith in the Lord and be more at peace with His plan for our little family.

"And though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm..." I love those lyrics. What a great example of faith and trust in God's will. (For those of you that like the song and wonder who its by, the band is called Casting Crowns and the name of the song is "Praise You In This Storm")

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Alex I feel the same way. I love these people even though i have never "met" them. Its amazing how the internet can connect and bond so many people that would of never got a chance to become a part of each others lives.

I'm really glad I "met" you and enjoy your friendship!

Kim

Tori Orgill said...

Hey Alex. I loved this blog. I am so thankful for your honesty. Being "barren" sucks but I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us and I know that He loves us...if you ever need to talk about anything...just give me a call. I am a really good listener over some Ben and Jerry's!

Danica Osborn said...

Just wanted to thank you for the comment on my blog, and the encouraging words. I wish you luck and blessings in your own fertility struggles.

I'm always reading blogs like these too, and my husband just doesn't understand why either. Sometimes I'll want to share with him about these peoples' lives, even though they're strangers, and often he won't let me b/c they just make him too sad. But there's often such hope talked about too, and you see great miracles amidst these peoples' tradgedies, and it just reminds you of what this life's purpose is really about.

Nice "meeting" ya!