Last night was THE night! Finally, after all that waiting... Order of the Phoenix was released and we saw it, WOOHOO! Now, let me start off by saying that because of my love for these literary masterpieces, I am very critical of the movies. I hate, hate, HATE when the screenwriters and directors take too much "artistic liberty" and deviate from the plot to the point of nausea. This was the case with Prsioner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire (although POA was particularly atrocious) and I feared that OOTP would also suffer this same fate. This time I prepared myself for the worst and went in expecting to be dissapointed... but was I?
NOPE! :) I was actually, rather pleasantly surprised to tell the truth! Did the movie deviate a bit? Of course. Were there scenes/characters left out that I wish hadn't been? Of course. But honestly, truly, cross my heart... it was REALLY good! The acting has of course greatly improved as everyone has matured. The newcomers (Umbridge, Tonks, etc) were excellent as well. Umbridge was absolutely perfect, soooooooooooo hateable you wanted to reach through the screen and strangle her! The romance with Harry and Cho was cute and we even got a little peak at Ginny's growing jealousy, very cool. The DA scenes were awesome, and Luna Lovegood was just fantastic! The final scene at the Ministry was very intense, although I have to admit... Sirius's death was very Lord of The Rings-ish. (Very remaniscent of the scene at the Bridge of Kazadoom, for all you LOTR buffs) Oh, also, one last thing I loved about what Yates did with this movie. All throughout the movie he inserted quotes from the book (conversations) and it wasn't just like once or twice, either... I actually lost count! No director in the past has done that, and I really appreciated him doing so in the efforts to put back in some of what "needed" to be taken out by deviating from the real plot for the sake of time.
So, all in all... Congratulations to David Yates for a job well done and not botching up such a crucial book in this series! :) Now everyone, get off your duff and GO SEE IT!!!!

2 comments:
I'm glad to hear that true HP fans aren't disappointed, even if the critics are somewhat less than favorable toward the movie.
I really liked it too. I especially loved Luna and Umbridge. They were perfect. We went to the IMAX 3-D version, so that was kind of cool and different. Anyway, I've never posted on your blog before, but now you know I peek at it occassionally :)
Post a Comment