First off, I'd like to address one of the most prevalent (and annoying) infertility myths... I'm sure you've probably heard it and maybe even uttered it before: "If you just relax, you will get pregnant!"
According to Dr.Alice D.Domar of RESOLVE,
"If only it were that easy! The fact is, the vast majority of individuals who have infertility have a medical reason, not a stress-related one. Upwards of 90% of all infertility cases are caused by physical problems. In the female partner, the major causes of infertility are absent or irregular ovulation, blocked fallopian tubes, abnormalities in the uterus, and Endometriosis (a chronic painful condition where tissue from the lining of the uterus migrates into the pelvis and attaches to the reproductive organs). The male partner can have issues with sperm production which can lead to too few sperm, sperm which can’t swim correctly, and abnormally shaped sperm.
Where the stress/infertility connection may come in tends to be after one has been trying for a while, and the stress of not conceiving easily may then contribute to the problem. But there has never been a study which shows that simply relaxing increases pregnancy rates."
While I have heard quite a few other doozies, this one absolutely wins the "Say that to me one more time and I will punch you in the face!"-award. Let me tell you why. It implies that we don't know what we are doing (or our very expensive doctors for that matter) which in turn implies that our childlessness is somehow our fault, because come on... if you haven't gotten pregnant yet, you MUST be doing something wrong right? WRONG! See the above quoted paragraph.
In my case, I have Stage 4 Endometriosis and PCOS, so no amount of relaxing is ever going to fix my innards and undo the damage of almost 20 years of built up scar tissue. It's like telling someone that's lost a limb, "If you just relax and quit trying so hard, it'll grow back!" You see what I mean about the punch you in the face thing? Now, before you start telling me about your friend that tried and tried and couldn't get pregnant for like 6 months (oh the HORROR, what an agonizing wait!!!) but then she stopped trying so hard and *POOF* she got pregnant the next month... Yeah, I've heard the story. Please bear in mind that those stories are usually the exception, not the rule- especially when dealing with true, diagnosed infertility. Trust me, for every woman that got pregnant after taking a cycle off, there are hundreds of us that were not so lucky. So yeah... it's annoying and hurtful, and more often than not completely erroneous... so don't say it... to anyone... ever. And if you do and they punch you in the face, don't say I didn't warn you! :)
Now, for all my LDS peeps out there... I will modify the above myth to one that is bandied about church all too often... and yes, I say this from first hand experience. It comes in many shapes and forms, sometimes spoken outright but often times implied... " If you just had more faith/lived more righteously, you would be blessed with a child." Oh how that raises my hackles! I don't think very many people mean for it to come out that way, but it does... and it's one of the most hurtful things one could say/imply (intentionally or not) to a couple that is doing their best and for whatever reason cannot conceive. Obviously family is a big deal to us Latter Day Saints, and while there is nothing doctrinal about those with bigger families being better/more righteous than others, there is certainly that Mormon Culture stigma. Now imagine, if you will, having to deal with all the insecurities and pain that the non-spiritual aspects of infertility brings and then tack onto that being made to feel less worthy or somehow undeserving of Heavenly Father's blessing of motherhood/fatherhood. That right there has been, for me, the most painful and soul-crushing part of my struggle with infertility. First feeling like a failure because my body refuses to do one of the most amazing and miraculous things for which it was created to do. Then the feelings of doubt and wondering what I must have done to make God not trust me with a child when every day scores of babies are born to abusive and neglecting homes. I know I would make mistakes, but would I really be worse of a mother than them? These are the deep, dark, ugly spiritual corners infertility makes you face.
Now, the truth of the matter is that NO, of course being infertile does not make you any less valuable/loved in the sight of Heavenly Father. It took me years to finally truly KNOW that even though I thought I knew it all along. And no, of course we did nothing to deserve this, just like the Savior taught in John 9:1-3 :
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this aman, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the aworks of God should be made bmanifest in him.
While infertility has been the biggest trial of my life thusfar, it has also been one of my biggest blessings. I have been humbled over and over and have had to grapple with so many personal demons. It has only been through the healing power of the Atonement of Christ that I have been able to face and deal with it all. I have come to accept that DUH... bad things just happen to good people sometimes (and vice verse) but that God never leaves us comfortless in these trials. I have been stretched uncomfortably over the years, but I know that it is His will and His way of preparing me for greater things than I can even begin to comprehend. I am grateful for the Gospel in my life, and the peace it brings me when nothing else can calm my fears and quench the yearning of empty arms. This month's Ensign has a wonderful article on infertility and faith, check it out here!
Now, I know what you are all wondering after all those warm and fuzzies... Do I still have my bad days? Yes. Do I still (inwardly) roll my eyes at pregnant women complaining about all those aches and pains and projectile vomits that I would literally chew my limbs off for? Absolutely! Do I even sometimes still have to supress the urge to punch someone in the face when they speak without first thinking? ALL the time... but at least I don't, right? That's gotta count for something! ;)
To learn more about infertility, click here.
To learn more about National Infertility Awareness Week, click here.
PS> If you made it this far, cuddos and thanks, it means a great deal to me! :)
PS> If you made it this far, cuddos and thanks, it means a great deal to me! :)


8 comments:
Alex... I know you are being prepared for wonderful things, and whatever they are you are the most deserving person to receive them. I am so grateful for the lifelong friends I have made on my journey through infertility. So many people have come into my life in ways they never would otherwise, including you! Thank you for wording your post so perfectly! I might even link a post from my blog to yours, I hope you don't mind.
This is a Great post. I too would like to link it. I am grateful for my babies, yet I still cry because I'm unable to have anymore. I can't even image what the past years have been like for you. I agree with the above post- the Lord is preparing you for something amazing .... thanks for sharing your feeling. I will start thinking before I speak For Sure! =)
I love it. Great post!
I still get people telling me that I obviously just needed to relax to get pregnant. I never really know what to say, because sure, we stopped trying and got pregnant, but I am 100% convinced that it was not anything I did or didn't do. It makes for an awkward moment.
I LOVE this! So heartfelt and honest, Alex.
While I have not had to endure this challenge in my own life, I have seen firsthand the immense heartache that comes with infertility and child loss. I can't believe people are so insensitive to say such things. I often feel a little sorry for such people because they obviously have not yet had their hearts softened by such difficult trials. Unfortunately, for most people, they have to suffer the same way in order to sympathize. Sad. I wish we as human beings could just mourn with others for sadness' sake instead of trying to minimize or solve everyone's problems. We all need to just realize people suffer and it's our job (our covenanted responsibility if you're baptized) to mourn with them and comfort them! Not to explain their sorrows away.
I love you, Alex. I agree -- you are amazing and God has some big things in store for you!
Thank you for sharing something that I know is beyond difficult. Believe it or not, I was told in '06 I couldn't have kids until I had major treatments/surgery (I have only the left fallopian tube still attached & an ovarian cyst on that side!) I had resigned myself to the fact that I was either not going to have kids, or have to pay for really expensive treatments to have them. I was angry, for a really long time. I agree with you when you sit there pondering what you did or what the deal is & realizing that you may not be able to be a perfect mom but that at least you won't abandon them, or use drugs, etc while you are expecting and to see all around you all these women whom (I am sorry to say) should have never become mothers. I cried when I found out because to me, she is nothing short of a miracle, I don't want this to sound like I am rubbing it in because I have felt the anguish, guilt and pain of knowing your body won't do what it's meant to do. Don't give up, stay strong & although I am no longer lds, I will pray for your happiness, someone as special as you deserve all the happiness in the world.
(I couldn't sign in using my Google account, but this is from Vannezza aka, Evelyn Sanders)
Brilliant post. Thank you for participating in this challenge. I also wrote about "Just Relax". Wishing you all the best on your journey.
Here from NIAW blog list.
my hackels are raised too at the thought of people saying these things, especailly about having a lack of faith. i know my Alex and one thing she does NOT have is a lack of faith! you are amazing. truly amazing!
Thanks gals, I appreciate your thoughts and kind words. Heavenly Father has blessed me with a great support group, I could never do it without your love and prayers... you guys ROCK! Love you all, *muah!*
Post a Comment