"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Snow day?!?! ... yeah, right!

After weeks of watching home (NYC) get pummeled time and time again with all those snowstorms and wishing I were there to play in it, I finally got my wish today! We just ourselves a nice little blizzard! We only got 12" but because of the 40-50mph winds, there are snow drifts out there that are 3-5 ft tall. Awe-some, right? Well, unfortunately when you work in a hospital, it doesn't matter how much snow is on the ground, no snowday for you!!! If people tried calling in (and many did), they were just told to sit tight and expect to be picked up. Ben asked me this morning if I was sure I didn't want to reconsider my profession!

My wonderful hubby drove me to and from, which was really nice since we got stuck several times both ways. Our little Ford Focus is great on gas mileage but for plowing through that much snow? Yeah... not so much! It took 45 minutes to drive 3 miles and Ben had to push the car about half the time, poor guy! As we were pulling into the parking lot (at home) this afternoon, we got stuck in a 3ft snow drift that had newly formed (it wasn't there when he left to go get me). He got the shovel and started digging us out but 15 minutes later Fred hadn't budged one bit. Fortunately a guy driving by in an Arctic Cat ATV came to our rescue and pulled us out, it was awesome! He told Ben he was bored at home and decided to go out looking for stranded people to help. How nice is that? Dude's gonna get some serious blessings! :)

So... thankfully I am back home safe and sound and contemplating playing in the snow some before it gets dark but... well, with it only being  9* outside... yeah, I don't know. I would be content with just curling up with a bit of hot chocolate but seeing as I just started the South Beach diet again 2 days ago, that's a big no-no... ARGH. My birthday is in 2 days and I foresee a bit of fudging going on there so I wonder if I should just cut my losses now and indulge...

And now,  for your viewing pleasure, here are some limited shots of this lovely storm! 

This is what we woke up to at 6am

This is after we got Fred (and us) safely back home!

Mini trying to find a spot to take care of business...

Sirius venturing out to join her.

1 comment:

Shanny said...

We're supposed to get our big storm tonight, but I'm skeptical that it will be as terrible as everyone is making it out to be.

Then again, I just noticed that the weather alert was changed from a winter storm warning to a blizzard warning. So maybe it will be pretty intense!

Glad you are home safe and sound!