"It's our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

~ Albus Dumbledore ~

Friday, August 20, 2010

Nature... who needs it?!?!

Not I. Especially last night... I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to packing up my bags and taking the first flight back to my cement paradise home that is New York City! Well, not really but that's certainly what I wanted to do!

I was attacked last night while getting out of my car. I had just gotten home from work, it was close to midnight. I'd been singing Defying Gravity in the car and so it was with a wide open mouth that I met my assailant as I opened my car door. Once, twice, thrice it hit me in the face! Shocked and quite frightened I (first- shut my mouth!) fought back at my still invisible foe. I managed to avert any more attacks to the face and instead began to receive them in the torso. Madly, I swatted and punched in vain as the tricky little thing continue to evade me. It mocked me with a most unnatural laughter. "Click click cliiiiiiiiiick!"After what seemed like an eternity of this life and death struggle, my opponent tired and fell on my lap. I finally got a good look at my assailant and only then did I scream...



Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I jumped up out of my seat and slammed the door shut, thus trapping the vile monster. Then I realized I had also trapped my purse and lunchpack in there with it. Crud! I then did the only thing I could: swiftly I ran up my front steps and called for my Prince in Shining Armor! So genteel, he left his own battles with fearsome foes ( a Boss) to come rescue his damsel in distress. "Quickly, my sword, madam!" I ran and fetched his beautifully (factory) crafted Mag-Lite and stood back while my beloved slay the beast for good. "Crunch...splat...crunch crunch!"

Oh the horror. Seriously...

After 6 years of living in Oklahoma (and all its trees and bugs) I still just can't handle nature/grass/bugs. I am making strides though, little as they may be... a few weekends ago I actually sat on grass with no blanket under me!!! Some day I may even work up the nerve to walk in it barefoot (ugh, that gives me the heebiejeebies just thinking about it!) but not just yet. Me and all that green stuff just don't get along very well...


10 comments:

Shanny said...

Sick, dude. Is that what a cicada looks like? EW! What a nasty little creature! And they make the most annoying sound, it makes me feel like I'm in a concentration camp with the electric barbed wire. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Unknown said...

Yes, that was a cicada, BLEGH!!!

Ben said...

For clarification, it was more like a *thunk...crunch*

Kat said...

You know, you keep referencing your hate of Oklahoma (which of course slightly offends yours truly), but what I really think is that you just don't like nature in general. Bugs are everywhere, grass is everywhere, and trees are everywhere (except for most of NYC).

And I'm pretty sure even tornadoes are everywhere (just more likely to populate in Oklahoma), including Utah.

Alex said...

Kat,

In reference to this: "Bugs are everywhere, grass is everywhere, and trees are everywhere (except for most of NYC)."

That is why my first few words in this post were: "I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to packing up my bags and taking the first flight back to my cement paradise home that is New York City!" And while yes, the nastier aspects of nature are everywhere (except for NYC which is one of the things I love about my dear cemented home city)it is especially abundant and yucky here, in my opinion. It was in Utah and SC as well, but those states had other redeeming qualities that helped me overlook that... such as beautiful mountains, beaches and of course... calmer weather! Those aspects of nature I happen to like... though the mosquitoes in SC were murder!

This is a point, I am afraid, on which we will most likely never see eye to eye on, and that is fine by me! I know tons of people hate NYC and that's ok too, we are all entitled to our opinions. :)

Alex said...

I should add, by the way, that in my last paragraph when I said that after 6 years of living in OK, I still can't handle it... by IT I meant the topic at hand,nature/bugs, NOT Oklahoma. Perhaps I should clarify that in case this is what prompted you to refer to my hatred of Oklahoma in this specific post.

It is no secret that I would shed no tears if we had to move, but I must say that over the past 6 years my "hatred" for this state has been downgraded significantly. I can't honestly say I LOVE it here and could never ever move away.... but I have, with time, been able to come to appreciate certain aspects of this state (cost of living being the main one) that make up for certain undesirable ones.

So, that being said, off I go to edit my post for clarification.

Ben said...

Hey Kat, don't get your panties in a wad. It was purely a reactionary post to getting a cicaeda to the head. YUCK!

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This post really made me laugh! Brought back so many memories of my mission in OKC!!! I am from a very rural area in Utah, but the bugs there were by far worse than any I have ever come face to face with. Although, deep down in my heart... I do miss Oklahoma :)

Nicole said...

okay, so the picture you posted looked like you were attacked by a 3 foot long insect! how big are those things? ew. i wish i could have seen you tell that story, i would have loved a re-inactment :)