A few months ago I wrote this post. It was the start of a new treatment for my Endometriosis. I the took Femara for about 4 months and thought nothing of it... I felt great compared to how I was feeling before my surgery and on other similar drugs that turned me into "Psycho Alex." No major side effects to speak of really, I was totally impressed! I stopped the Femara a few weeks ago in preperation for my new adventure with Lupron (more on that later.)
Ok, so what's the big deal then? Well, a few weeks ago I noticed that my hair was starting to fall out at an alarming rate. I'm not talking about your random few strands of hair in the shower drain... I'm talking fistfulls at a time and hairballs the size of oranges in the drain... every day. At first I though maybe it was stress... or maybe I wasn't eating well? This morning I got a bit more alarmed after another 2 fistfulls of hair came out in the shower, and decided to do some research... perhaps one of the many drugs I'm taking had something to do with it? First stop: Femara. Ok, now if you didn't look at the linked post above, go now and look at the picture closely... yeah, CHEMO! Duh!!! Why didn't I think of that and put 2 and 2 together? I guess I never really thought about it as "for reals" chemo... I don't have cancer, I wasn't throwing up, and it wasn't the red stuff going in through an IV every week ... it was just these little pink pills that looked so innocent! Yeah, right... innocent, whatever. I looked up Femara side effects and sure enough... HAIR LOSS. Good job, me... only took me 5 months to figure that one out.
So now this Lupron... its like Femara on steroids apparently. Originally designed as chemo treatment for Prostate cancer patients, this nifty little drug has also proved to be effective in shrinking the Endo. I'll be on it for 6 months... And yes, seeing as this is poison in a needle, hairloss is definitely on the list of side effects for this one too; moreso than Femara, actually. I'm kind of scared to think how much worse the hairloss will get with this drug. I've read it can take up to a year before your hair starts growing back normally... yikes!
Its amazing the things we have to take into our bodies sometimes... I guess you have to take the good with the bad though... So, anyone know of any really good fortifying shampoos or something?

2 comments:
The things we do to have a child huh? But I know one day you'll hold that little one in your arms and just like I have thought a million times..... it was worth it!
woa!! what is that stuff on the botton of the shower... oh, it's alex's hair.
Post a Comment