Here is a (fan-made) map of Panem that I found, showing the location of all 13 districts plus the Capitol. This is based on info provided mostly in Catching Fire (as Katniss & Peeta travel) and of course some conjecture. I guess much of the continental US has been lost (underwater) due to the preceding cataclysmic events that gave way to Panem.
What we know about each district's trade/livelihood and uprising status:
What we know about each district's trade/livelihood and uprising status:The Capitol- in the Rocky Mountains or on the west side of the mountains. Very urban.
D1- Puts out Career tributes and seem to be loyal to the Capitol. We don't know anything about its geography or economy.
D2- Puts out Career tributes and seem to be loyal to the Capitol. We don't know anything about its geography or economy
D3- Makes electronics. Was on the brink of an uprising.
D4- Fishing, coastal. Was on the brink of an uprising
D5- Nothing on this district.
D6- Nothing on this district.
D7- Produces lumber and paper. Rumors of an uprising.
D8- Textile production (factories). Uprising taking place.
D9- Nothing on this district.
D10- Raises livestock. Communications down, probable uprising.
D11- Agricultural. A very large & populous district. Uprising taking place.
D12/The Seam-Katniss and Peeta's home. Coal belt of Appalachia. Not loyal to the Capitol, but not openly rebellious. Weak and poor. Smaller population than most districts. Bombed/destroyed at the end of Catching Fire :(
D13- Supposedly destroyed in war 75 years ago, used to provide nuclear technology. However, actually inhabited and seems to be the headquarters for the revolution :)
Soooo... what district would YOU be in? I myself would be in District 4 but have lived in D's 1, 11, & 13!

5 comments:
The map isn't real detailed, but I'd say you lived in the capital (as did I) and not district 1. I see I now live underwater.
But what really confuses me is the parts that are underwater and how they came to be so. All the ice in the world melting wouldn't come anywhere close to putting my current home underwater, but in this existence, that is exactly what has happened. Also, cities such as Omaha, NE and Chicago, IL seem to be above water, despite being 2000 ft lower in elevation than St. George. If sea level has risen 3000 ft, 18 states would be entirely underwater, including Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Alabama. Even Pennsylvania's tallest mountain would be an island only a few hundred feet high.
It is hard to imagine a geologic event large enough to cause sufficient uplift in the midwest, or sufficient drop in other areas, like southern Utah. For comparison, the 1906 San Francisco earth quake caused maximum displacements of 28 feet.
I've never heard of the book, but seems vaguely reminiscent of The White Mountains.
Its so comforting to know I will be underwater LOL
Clark, you're over thinking this my dear...
A)This is a fictional book about a fictional cataclysmic event that could probably never happen, hence the fictional part ;)
B)The map was put together by a fan, probably a young one, not versed in Geothermics and the effects of polar ice melting on the various topographical regions of this country.
C)You're right, Provo is probably in The Capitol or right on the border with District 1 but its hard to tell...
D)You are so silly :)
E)Haven't heard of The White Mountains, but I'll look into it... You should read this series though... You (but mostly Shannon) might enjoy it!
This is a really cool map. When i read them again (and when I read Mockingjay) it will really help to have a visual. I would be in District 7. I have always pictured SLC as the capitol though.
Well, I've now read the first two books, and wow, yeah, there is a lot of conjecture here. Since there seems to be absolutely no details about half of the districts, I don't see how you can even begin to place them anywhere at all. I also don't see why the assumption was made that the shoreline has drastically changed. Is there any reason to think the CA is underwater? I just don't get this map. (Really, there is no where close to enough info in the books to make such a map. Based on what we do know, it would be D12 in the Appalachians, D11 in the South, D10 somewhere in the great plains, the capital somewhere in the Rockies and everything else a big question mark.)
Post a Comment